14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 am

Folks

any camera buffs out here?
I am only recently initiated to the world of DSLR, I consider myself a novice / beginner Embarassed

I want to buy a beginner DSLR.
I tried my friend's Cannon 550D in Europe and the pictures were great. But no willing to shell out that much

Recently Nikon just launched D3100 and the reviews are good and price is great for beginner (no intention to change Kit lens type of user)

I find that Cannon cameras are everywhere. If I see any parallel to the world of golf equipment, I feel that:

- Cannon is equivalent of Taylormade in the world of DSLR cameras - good product, flood the market with lots of products, advertise heavily, use stars to endorse the product

- Nikon is kinda like Callaway in the world of DSLR - also a good product, but don't flood the market, don't advertise as much, fewer product endorsement

Do you agree with my analogy? Anyway I bot the Nikon and having fun with it. I'm sure got more expert users out here? what is your DSLR? where got good lobangs eg pre-own camera stuff? please share share
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:09 am

If you are not into making a living out of photography, Nikon is a good choice for amateur. Though you may need to invest a little on lens which makes the whole world of great difference in photography.

I have 2 colleagues who are into photography, their camera is only $1-2K... but their lens and accessories are in the tens of thousands.

Just like you are mid-hcp, you don't need to use the top specs golf clubs or Titleist PROV1 golf ball in every game you play. What a Face
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:12 am

yes, bro, i agree

was having lunch with another buddy of mine who is more into DSLR (70%) than golf (30%) while I am the other way around said kit lens is good but there are better lens out there

when he bot his DSLR, he only bot the body and upgraded the lens.
it is akind to buying a driver and changing the shaft to after market shafts. Performance is better... Man... I take a lot of analogy from golf to DSLR huh

cheers
Back to top Go down
mysticsea
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
mysticsea

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 8:28 am

have u tried the micro 2/3 kind of camera...
its kind of in between compact and dslr...
better pic quality than compact but lighter than a dslr...
some can change lens also...
using golf analogy its like the hybrid... Laughing
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:24 am

yes yes, i did try the hybrid. but decided that SLR is probably better if at some stage later (though i dun feel the need now)... i feel proficient enuff and wanna change lens... then I can't do it with the 'Hybrid' right?

anyway... i suspect it is all B/S (to myself Razz)... just like we change golf clubs... at some point in time, I suspect I will change from my Nikon D3100 to something else if kena poisoned....

heheheheheh
Back to top Go down
YC.Low
Committee
YC.Low

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 am

Next time u can use it on our RDG event.. cheers
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:42 am

Really? Be careful wat u wished for ah... Dun end up I unwittingly capture pics of u in compromising positions... Kekekekek
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:13 am

pocketace wrote:
Really? Be careful wat u wished for ah... Dun end up I unwittingly capture pics of u in compromising positions... Kekekekek

You can take any RDG members in any weird position or golf pose....but NEVER any photos in the Ladies washroom....you will taste the JJ feet ! Photography Thread 288898
Back to top Go down
GolfMan
Committee
GolfMan

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:20 am

Me now using Nikon D90....
Those year......15 years back... Me used F90. But not digital type.. Is by using film lor..... Anyway.... Me love photo taking too...
I almost got myself canon camera 550D...
While......maybe becos I was a Nikon fun lor.....
Hehehe.....
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:24 am

GolfMan wrote:
Me now using Nikon D90....
Those year......15 years back... Me used F90. But not digital type.. Is by using film lor..... Anyway.... Me love photo taking too...
I almost got myself canon camera 550D...
While......maybe becos I was a Nikon fun lor.....
Hehehe.....

Bro Golfman...you used Nikon F90.....uncle here used Nikon FE 3 and FE 4 ......

Photography Thread 3639604246_958d0fc69a_z

jocolor
Back to top Go down
GolfMan
Committee
GolfMan

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:14 pm

You win leow lor.....FE3.....lagi old lor....

Anyway... To share hor.... Actually hor...abt 10 years back... I was a wedding actual photograher lor... Hehehe...... Peisay...
Whoever is getting married soon.. Can ask me to assist him or her...(at FOC)..
Take it as my brand new start as my protfolio lor... Swee Bo....
Back to top Go down
Princess.White
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer
Princess.White

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 3:20 pm

cannon is a better camara
Back to top Go down
http://www.dstylez.blogspot.com
BGLeeJohn
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
BGLeeJohn

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:35 pm

My first SLR Camera was a FM with 50mm lens. Thru the years added FE2 came into the picture with MD2 followed by F3A with MD4 and Metz 60 flash, Nikon SB26 flash for my N90 etc.
300mm Nikkor lens, 105mm f1.8 lens, Zoom lens etc with many many filters.
Those were 20 over years ago liow. So much to talk.

Basically depending on your budget. The entry point for for Nikon is D90.

I am a black and white fotos fanatic.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
Batman

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 4:21 am

Princess.Whiteâ„¢ wrote:
I beg to differ. Just like golf equipment, is there a better club/ ball etc?

Coming back to the topic, my advice for people who are going into photography is to decide on the brand that they wanna buy. In general:

1) Canon is more suited for sports photography. It also gives richer color; as in red is redder and yellow is more yellow as compared to other brands. Downside: pictures may look a tad too colorful and losing its natural look n feel; especially if u r taking human subjects. (Of cos u can always do post-processing with a good software like PhotoShop CS3 etc)

2) Nikon is more like a general, AIO (all-in-one), type. It doesn't gives u very vibrant and full color and shutter not as fast as Canon.

For the record, I am using Fuji S5 Pro. It has the exact same body as D200. Because I am more into portrait and landscape photography. Comparing to other major brands, Fuji gives a more natural skin-tone and sky-blue tone.

Always remember this: regardless the brand, ur DSLR is only as good as the lens.... Wait till u venture further into the dark side, u will buy more n more!!! n I guarantee that u will sell off ur kit-lens n "upgrade" within 1yr; or max 2yrs lol!
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow ! We have a few photographers here in RDG leh !

When i was 18 and just out of Army, i follow a famous commerical photogaphers by the name Teo Keng Beng. We did alot of commerical shots like Tiger Beer, NETS and too many to remember....ah ..those were the days.....not too mention met many models.... cheers

Next RDG gathering we could have a RDG Photos Contest !

Swee Ah !!!
cheers
Back to top Go down
Daffu
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Daffu

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:07 am

Me too planning to buy a camera. I am looking for a Casio FH25. The reason for this is that the camera has a 40fps for still pics and slowmo functions. The problem is that its still at a high price here. Still, it is much cheaper than SLRs.
Back to top Go down
Snowman
Established Member
Established Member
Snowman

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:29 am

Pros
Easy to use with Auto Scene Selection; Compact and easy to carry; 2.7-Inch LCD; Manages available light well

Cons
Slow performance; Noise at all ISO settings; Short battery life; Image quality is not up to par with competition, with no real "Pop" in our photos

Bottom Line
The Casio Exilim FH25 is a full-featured, Mega-zoom camera that is equipped with a set of features that is unmatched by any other consumer camera, but lacks in overall image quality. Read more in our
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 10:51 am

Saw the TV advertisement... Samsung is coming out with a series of DSLR cameras, lens and accessories... cheers
Back to top Go down
fabulous
Established Member
Established Member
fabulous

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Anyone interested

Canon 20D body ( in good condition )
Canon Batt Grip ( in good Condition )
Lens Canon 18-55mm
Lens Sigma 18-125mm
Lens Canon 70-300mm
extra OEM battery
Battery Desktop Canon charger
LowePro bag.
some accesories come along too
Looking to sell all $1,000
Always keep the camera n lens at drybox
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Me too in photography....

I started with FM2 also, then hopped camp to Canon FE, EOS 3, then EOS DSLR 400D and just upgraded to EOS DSLR 5DMK II.
Using 3 lens for now as it suits my needs. 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 MKII

Started photography about 12yrs back... am still an avid photographer but more for my kids now... Capturing those moments are so precious and priceless..

Last edited by jazz_samz on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Princess.Whiteâ„¢ wrote:

PW... there is NO such thing as a better or poorer camera... its the person behind the lens that makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:30 pm

A word of advice... dun buy a DSLR if you are going to use the P (program) FUNCTION most of the time.... it defeats the purpose of owning a DSLR... you maybe better off with a prosumer or a good compact

For less, you can get as good or even better pictures with a compact if you know how to use the function than if you use a DSLR with only P function.

DSLR gives you the full ability to capture and create creative shots...

Pls do not be offended by my honest remarks.
Back to top Go down
A4checkmate
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
A4checkmate

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 3:44 pm

I got a Canon 550D recently.
Back to top Go down
BGLeeJohn
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
BGLeeJohn

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Those good old days I will snap 6 rolls of 36x film every weekend.
Into wedding photography and commercial - pastries.

Black and White - Wonderful....
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah. Film squeeze the skill out of a photographer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Photography Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Thread   Photography Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Photography Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next