Ironman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Ironman

Re: Need help for long putt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 am

Hi Guys,

Need your advise on this ... My avg putt about 33 per 18 holes. I am using a Mullet putter ( Odyssey White Ice ) using straight back / forward putting method.

I have no problem with distance control of any putt that were within the range of 1, 2, 3 or 4 meters (even if I do not holed it at these distance, it is always a very close to the hole for my next putt). I am most of a system putting player NOT a feeling player. In mean other words, how far my putter swing back & forward, given actually the distance my ball will travel...

Here my problem ... I have difficulties controlling my distance for long putt that are above 5 meters .. I am not good enough to get the ball close enough to the hole to have a comfortable next putt without miss ... Any advise on long putt ?

I knew I should have pitch closer to the hole on my 2nd or 3rd shots rather leaving it for a long putt .. I am working on my accuracy on my shots too. Thx
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 3:17 am

Bro, for putting there are 3 elements, speed, roll and break.

Speed is distance control
Roll is reference to true roll, ball is rolling and not bumping and whobbling.
Break is ability to read breaks on greens... by experiences

Speed and roll, it can be trained, basically practices.

Speed training - get a few balls and start practicing at 5m, 6m, 7m up to 20m and make sure you must putt pass the hole but less than 3 ft.

Roll training - basically putt with a up swing to allow the ball to roll, not tapping. You can check on youtube on how to roll a putt.

Break - How to read a break is usually start from seeing which is higher ground, grains of green, slope, etc... it's more by experiences... more towards your estimation or "agaration" (aga aga).... hahaha...

Hope this helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
YC.Low
Committee
YC.Low

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:17 am

it's seem I got 3 elements.. cheers
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:11 am

tiley wrote:

Then you should be playing low 80s... give me 5-5 next round What a Face
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:05 am

Neutralgolfer wrote:
tiley wrote:

Then you should be playing low 80s... give me 5-5 next round What a Face

Wow...Tiley kor kor giving 9-9...Thank you.. lol!
Back to top Go down
Ironman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Ironman

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Neutralgolfer wrote:

Speed training - get a few balls and start practicing at 5m, 6m, 7m up to 20m and make sure you must putt pass the hole but less than 3 ft.

Roll training - basically putt with a up swing to allow the ball to roll, not tapping. You can check on youtube on how to roll a putt.

Break - How to read a break is usually start from seeing which is higher ground, grains of green, slope, etc... it's more by experiences... more towards your estimation or "agaration" (aga aga).... hahaha...

Hope this helps. Smile

NG,

May I know what type of putter you are using ?
Back to top Go down
markie
Committee
markie

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Bro Ironman, I think I'm using a mallet putter. I'm using a TM itsby spider (ladies version)....but I put the heavist possible weight to the weight port cos I like my putter to be heavy.

I'm more of a feel putter, so I can't really give you advise on how to control strength on long putt.

However one thing that I have learn regarding long putt is to eliminate too much hand action. Instead use the shoulder motion to control the putter, ma jiam like pendulum rocking up and down. In this way, your putt will be more consistent.

Oh 1 more thing, pls make sure you look at the putter head and make sure you see it strike the ball. This will ensure the ball goes out on your intended line.

Hope this hels....my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Good read ! Thanks guys ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 4:41 am

Putting stroke is easy to understand but the most difficult to execute. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 am

Ironman wrote:
Neutralgolfer wrote:

Hope this helps. Smile

NG,

May I know what type of putter you are using ?

I am using blade type, SC studio select...

Regardless of putter type, speed training should be the same, get the feel to hit 5m, 6m, up to 20m with less than 3 ft pass the hole...
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Established Member
Established Member
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 5:47 am

Ironman wrote:
Hi Guys,

Need your advise on this ... My avg putt about 33 per 18 holes. I am using a Mullet putter ( Odyssey White Ice ) using straight back / forward putting method.

I have no problem with distance control of any putt that were within the range of 1, 2, 3 or 4 meters (even if I do not holed it at these distance, it is always a very close to the hole for my next putt). I am most of a system putting player NOT a feeling player. In mean other words, how far my putter swing back & forward, given actually the distance my ball will travel...

Here my problem ... I have difficulties controlling my distance for long putt that are above 5 meters .. I am not good enough to get the ball close enough to the hole to have a comfortable next putt without miss ... Any advise on long putt ?

I knew I should have pitch closer to the hole on my 2nd or 3rd shots rather leaving it for a long putt .. I am working on my accuracy on my shots too. Thx

I am using mallet putter... and to be honest I am worse in putting than you. Only recently I have improved my putting and start breaking 40 putts per 18... I have two almost similar stroke for short and long putts... For short, my eyes are exactly above the ball, in this way, my stroke is almost straight back/forth. For long, I stand taller and my eyes are not above the ball, hence, my arc is more obvious. Somehow, I find it is easier for me to control distance like this. I am not sure why, but I am sticking to this at this moment...
Back to top Go down
Ironman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Ironman

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 pm

taskie wrote:
Ironman wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am using mallet putter... and to be honest I am worse in putting than you. Only recently I have improved my putting and start breaking 40 putts per 18... I have two almost similar stroke for short and long putts... For short, my eyes are exactly above the ball, in this way, my stroke is almost straight back/forth. For long, I stand taller and my eyes are not above the ball, hence, my arc is more obvious. Somehow, I find it is easier for me to control distance like this. I am not sure why, but I am sticking to this at this moment...

You being humble. I am not single HCP but just a 14 hcp player. I was taught that mallet and blade putter have a different stroke .. One more of the straight back & forward .. one more of a arc (like door close and open). Usually, those using mallet putter with straight back & forward stroke, struggle with longer putt.

There is why I post this thread .. I understand about break, roll and speed, rocking motion, eye on the ball, coin drills .. etc What I am seeking was to understand how other player do using mallet putter for long putt.

Please note that when I posted. I am consistent in doing short putt with greater success than my long putter is because the method using also related to how far the width of my both leg during address ... Did you ever hear people using wrist doing a long putt ? Many golfer afraid the word of " using wrist involved during putting " as it claimed that it does not give you consistence.

However, what you say is great important to me.. Doing more of a arc strokes for longer putt with mallet putter .. This is something I like to try ...

I remember I was played with a 5 HCP player. He is using a blade putter and told me to try to use arc stroke with my putter .. It did not work for me, I guess it is difficult for me to change in short period time to feel comfortable ...

Last edited by Ironman on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ironman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Ironman

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:06 pm

markie wrote:

However one thing that I have learn regarding long putt is to eliminate too much hand action. Instead use the shoulder motion to control the putter, ma jiam like pendulum rocking up and down. In this way, your putt will be more consistent.

Thank you, points noted. I can understand since you are feel putter player .. In other words, how far you rock back using your shoulder motion depend how far the distance of the actual long putt ?

I guess I am not good enough to be like you to feel that way ... However, you did highlighted a point that I can try during my longer putt .. Thx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Need help for long putt   Re: Need help for long putt Empty

Back to top Go down

Re: Need help for long putt
Page 1 of 1