RedDotGolfers

Forum for Singapore Golfers

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??

Go down 
+3
moi
RedPhoenix
aries_ou
7 posters
AuthorMessage
aries_ou
aries_ou

Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? Empty
PostSubject: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:18 am

Hi All,

Some tips to share on golf balls...

Why are people going after branded golf balls (Eg. ProV1, etc)? Is it because of its quality, better distance and spin or because the Pros are using it???

There are many types of golf balls available in the market today. The distinction between different balls is mainly due to compression or ball cover. Hence, there are 2 main classes of balls: Spin & Distance

Balata, litium and Surlyn covers are popular ones that allow wound balls to be played by those looking for both distance and high spin.

A balata-covered ball is essentially a three-piece ball: a liquid-filled core wound with rubber and covered with balata. Balata is simply a soft substance, which leads to cuts and nicks. This "softness" is said to provide "better playability" which is to say that the golfer can "shape" his/her shot (fade/draw), and get more "action" (backspin) on the greens. These are usually more costly and have a short life.

A surlyn-covered ball is typically a two-piece ball having a solid core with the surlyn cover. Surlyn is an artificial "uncuttable" substance, which is designed to eliminate the cuts and nicks. The Surlyn ball is much harder as compared to the Balata one. The drawbacks of the harder ball are that golfers find it more difficult to "shape" their shot (fade/draw), and get "action" (backspin) on the greens.

There isn't any relation between the compression of a golf ball and the distance over which it travels, the compression of a ball usually affects how the ball feels when hit. Most ball compressions are generally rated between 80 and 100. The higher the compression, the harder the ball feels when you hit it. A 100-compression ball has a much more "solid" feel when hit than the one with 80-compression. The most commonly used compression ball is 90. However, it is down to personal preference as to what a golfer feels most comfortable with.

Spin: Designed to provide 'workability' over distance, often of three-piece construction. A central core (liquid in the highest spin balls) is surrounded by rubber windings, which is often covered with a thin, soft material called urethane or synthetic balata. These balls spin more, making them easier to draw or fade, and they hold the green. They also have a softer feel but won't travel as far as distance balls. These are the balls of choice for many touring professionals, they already have the distance but need good workability. Popular examples of multilayer balls are the Titleist Pro V1x and the Nike One.

Distance: Their cover is typically Surlyn (a durable, very firm material) or a Surlyn blend and are generally two-piece with a solid core. The inside of the distance ball is a firm synthetic material. The combined firmness of the cover and core allow the ball to travel longer distances and be very durable. However, these balls don't spin a great amount. Less spin means less control and stopping ability in certain cases. These have a harder feel than balls with wound construction. These are the balls of choice for the 'general' golfer like you and me as we need the distance and don't have (yet) the ability to work the ball like the pros. The Precept MC Lady and the Maxfli Noodle are two very popular examples of this category
Back to top Go down
RedPhoenix
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
RedPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:28 am

Hi aeris_ou, thank you for the detailed info...it's very helpful bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 am

Noodleball. Cheap, soft and good.
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 am

Bro, balata is outdated liao. Now is Surlyn, Urethane and Elastomer cover. Rubber windings are history too. The modern construction is 2 piece, 3 piece, 4 piece and even latest is 5 piece construction.
Back to top Go down
JieJie
Committee
JieJie

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 am

wa... u all so expert one ah..
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 am

JieJie, I got go school mah... lol!
Back to top Go down
JieJie
Committee
JieJie

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 am

very cheeky hor.. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks Aries for sharing ! Will always support you ! ......got further discount ? Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? 16911
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 am

JJ, actually I do a lot of studies on golf balls too. I even cut them, saw them apart to see the differences.

Initially just out of interests but now to the extend that I bring in Golf balls to sell them. haha...
Back to top Go down
JieJie
Committee
JieJie

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 am

huh!!?! no wonder your avatar got golfballs... so what do u bring in?

do u cut up shafts too??
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:52 am

JieJie wrote:

do u cut up shafts too??

Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? Icon_evil Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? Icon_evil Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? Icon_evil
Back to top Go down
aries_ou
aries_ou

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 am

Hey, then share more with us!!

JieJie wrote:
wa... u all so expert one ah..
Back to top Go down
aries_ou
aries_ou

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 am

Wow, then share with us lei!!!

Neutralgolfer wrote:
JJ, actually I do a lot of studies on golf balls too. I even cut them, saw them apart to see the differences.

Initially just out of interests but now to the extend that I bring in Golf balls to sell them. haha...
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 am

JieJie wrote:

do u cut up shafts too??

I have brought in and tried many balls made in Taiwan, Thailand, China, Korea and of course USA. Now I have just brought in the brand BIGYARD from Korea. They are manufactured by Nexen Corporation of Korea, 25 years of golf balls manufacturing and 2nd largest in Korea. They have factories in Korea and China. They are OEM for some Japanese golf Brands.

There are some reviews here : http://www.bigyardgolfballs.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&cPath=1&products_id=1

To be honest, I have made up my decision to bring in, is after reading these reviews. So far, I have tested out 2 types and found they are quite good, value for money.

I am still in the testing phase for these balls so will not say too much about them. When I am done with the evaluation, I will let you guys know more.

Shaft are too expensive, and naked eyes can't tell the difference. I don't think I will cut them.
Back to top Go down
AT
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
AT

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Neutralgolfer wrote:
JieJie wrote:

do u cut up shafts too??

I have brought in and tried many balls made in Taiwan, Thailand, China, Korea and of course USA. Now I have just brought in the brand BIGYARD from Korea. They are manufactured by Nexen Corporation of Korea, 25 years of golf balls manufacturing and 2nd largest in Korea. They have factories in Korea and China. They are OEM for some Japanese golf Brands.

There are some reviews here : http://www.bigyardgolfballs.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&cPath=1&products_id=1

To be honest, I have made up my decision to bring in, is after reading these reviews. So far, I have tested out 2 types and found they are quite good, value for money.

I am still in the testing phase for these balls so will not say too much about them. When I am done with the evaluation, I will let you guys know more.

Shaft are too expensive, and naked eyes can't tell the difference. I don't think I will cut them.

is the stated price in USD? or S$? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 2:50 pm

The website is not mine, it is in New Zealand, NZ$ I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??   Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does branded and more expensive golf balls means better play??
Page 1 of 1