edmuhamad
gray
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gray
gray

Training for Marathon Empty
PostSubject: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:11 am

Hi Guys,

Know that some of you are training for marathon and Ucl Lau has given me the honor to start a thread on this topic FOR INJURY FREE TRAINING.

First of all, I must disclaim that I am no expert and these are just from my personal experience.

Given that many of us start from different levels, we must first know where we stand in our fitness level. Some of us play golf 5 days a week, some of us 5 days a year. Others are 21years fresh from NS while others are 62years fresh into retirement.

1. get a good pair of shoes. Know your feet and stride type. Do you over pronate or under pronate, buying the correct shoes will help reduce injury. never run a marathon with a new pair of shoes.

2. start running. What other way to train for running than to start running. Start slow. Maybe 1km 3 times a week, then 2 km 3 times a week, then 5km 2 times a week.......

3. Rotate your training. Dont always just go for distance running. if your plan is to exercise 3 times a week, use 1 time for the long distance run. Anotehr time for swimming and the last time for sprinting or gym.

4. Dont exercise everyday. if your body is not used to it, over exercising will make you weak and then you will fall sick easily. Once you fall sick, you need time to recover and this disrupts your training program. Kiang tio ho, mai keh kiang.

5. Exercise at 80% your heart rate (except when doing sprinting). Dont over do it. Buy a polar watch to monitor your exercise heart rate. Queensway got good selection at good price.

Have a good one. Want to train, jio me too. Ucl Lau knows how to contact me!

Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks for the info...... Cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks bro Gray, as myself had consulted him months back as myself and saltydog, both of us in our early and late 40's and have ask him to write this important and informative thread on Training For Marathon. Very Happy

Gray is a very good friend and a good golfer. Known him for years...he completed IRON MAN race, climb Mt Everest and run countless of Marathon both in Singapore and around this region. Very Happy

Those keen to challenge oneself to run marathon, whether 1/4. 1/2 or full marathon, can study Gray info and can PM me to form a group for it. We can prepare a Reddotgolfers Runner for 2012 Marathon.

Golf for Fun, Run for Health

Reddotgolfers Runner
* Uncle Lau
* SaltyDog

cheers
Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 am

I want to do GOLF Marathon........ What a Face
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:02 am

edmuhamad wrote:

Me too! cheers

Have not try PGA tour yet (play continuously for 4 days)... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:04 am

Ahem...boys..this is a Training for Marathon thread hor...thank you for your understanding....

Training for Marathon 974937
Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:04 am

Neutralgolfer wrote:
edmuhamad wrote:

Me too! cheers

Have not try PGA tour yet (play continuously for 4 days)... Embarassed

Maybe we must try at least 3 days of golf.... for year 2012....
Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:05 am

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
salty dog
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
salty dog

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 am

Got training or not? I want to do at least once a week jogging. I'm a total beginner when come to running (just like my golf). Any slow runner want to get together and train?

1. Salty dog
2. Uncle lau
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 am

Reddotgolfers Runner
* Uncle Lau
* SaltyDog

Training for Marathon 192200
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:11 am

gray wrote:
Hi Guys,

Know that some of you are training for marathon and Ucl Lau has given me the honor to start a thread on this topic FOR INJURY FREE TRAINING.

First of all, I must disclaim that I am no expert and these are just from my personal experience.

Given that many of us start from different levels, we must first know where we stand in our fitness level. Some of us play golf 5 days a week, some of us 5 days a year. Others are 21years fresh from NS while others are 62years fresh into retirement.

1. get a good pair of shoes. Know your feet and stride type. Do you over pronate or under pronate, buying the correct shoes will help reduce injury. never run a marathon with a new pair of shoes.

2. start running. What other way to train for running than to start running. Start slow. Maybe 1km 3 times a week, then 2 km 3 times a week, then 5km 2 times a week.......

3. Rotate your training. Dont always just go for distance running. if your plan is to exercise 3 times a week, use 1 time for the long distance run. Anotehr time for swimming and the last time for sprinting or gym.

4. Dont exercise everyday. if your body is not used to it, over exercising will make you weak and then you will fall sick easily. Once you fall sick, you need time to recover and this disrupts your training program. Kiang tio ho, mai keh kiang.

5. Exercise at 80% your heart rate (except when doing sprinting). Dont over do it. Buy a polar watch to monitor your exercise heart rate. Queensway got good selection at good price.

Have a good one. Want to train, jio me too. Ucl Lau knows how to contact me!

Thanks Gray!!

When I first took part in Marathon when I was 15, I tot I was very fit becos I played rugby and trained 3 times a week. Running, sprinting and all sorts of physical training. But only realised that Marathon is a different ball game. I have the stamina but my body just couldn't take the dehydration. I was having cramps on my legs for last few km of the 42km. I have to rest and walk for the last few km.

After that I started to do a research on internet and only to learn that to train for full marathon, it takes at least 6 months or more. Like what Gray mentioned in (2), start slow and increase distance over time to 10km, 20km, 30km, etc....

Without these training, I suggest those who wants to run, just go for the 10km or at most 20km.

Just my 2 cents. Take care of your health!
Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:17 am

Uncle Lau wrote:

Reddotgolfers Runner
* Uncle Lau
* SaltyDog

Training for Marathon 192200

Where u guys plan to RUN?? Changi or East Coast park??? or West coast park??
Back to top Go down
salty dog
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
salty dog

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:32 am

i prefer east coast. but i can only run a few km...... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 am

salty dog wrote:
i prefer east coast. but i can only run a few km...... Embarassed

East coast will be nice..... morning or evening run brudder??
Back to top Go down
salty dog
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
salty dog

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:38 am

evening will be nice. not sure if bro edi want to join us too.

UL, how about your side?
Back to top Go down
edmuhamad
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
edmuhamad

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 am

SD, like Gary says, start slow.... 1st running session maybe try 1km.... if cannot walk 1km... Razz
Back to top Go down
salty dog
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
salty dog

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:40 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 am

My humble suggestion since we all stay at different parts of Singapore, we will train on our own place of convenience like salty East coast. I will train along Upper Thomson area toward SICC hehehe. What a Face

We can than meet once a month to run. Just my 2cent worth

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
frederick
frederick

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:07 am

Anyone wants to help me for 800m? i like to run below 2" 10s by next July...
Back to top Go down
http://www.BizzSpace.com
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 am

frederick wrote:
Anyone wants to help me for 800m? i like to run below 2" 10s by next July...

IPPT 2.4km under 7 minute ??? pale Sorry bro, can't help you...we are all long distance old uncle running... albino
Back to top Go down
salty dog
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
salty dog

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
My humble suggestion since we all stay at different parts of Singapore, we will train on our own place of convenience like salty East coast. I will train along Upper Thomson area toward SICC hehehe. What a Face

We can than meet once a month to run. Just my 2cent worth

Very Happy

Singapore very big mair? Let's run together lah.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Well it take me half an hour to 45minutes from my place to east coast.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 am

Reddotgolfers Runner
* Uncle Lau
* SaltyDog
* EdMuhamad
* Gray

Training for Marathon 987518
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 pm

By Dr Jason Chia

Do you know that it takes between 800 and 1,000 steps to run a mile for the average person? With all this impact, the running shoe is the single most important piece of equipment for a runner.

What then should you look for in a running shoe?

Size
Badly-fitted shoes can lead to blisters, corns and blackened toe-nails. Try shoes on with your running socks in the afternoon to ensure that you get a correct fit. There should be one thumb-width space between your longest toe (not necessarily the first) and the front of the toe-box when the shoe is properly laced up. If you use orthotics, allow half a size to one size additional for the extra space.

Besides the length of the shoe, note also that different models have different width. Similarly, if you have toes which are not straight, look for models with deeper toe box to avoid abrasions over the toes. Note that the actual size and the stated size can differ between models and brands.

Shoe type
Not all shoes are made equal. Racers sacrifice cushioning and support for savings in weight, while trainers are designed for the many miles incurred in training. Trail shoes are designed for greater durability and traction.

Construction
Check that the shoes have:

Heel counters
Flex at the toe box at the "knuckles of your feet" when you flex the shoes

Give resistance when you wring the shoe lengthwise
The last "outline of the sole" fits the contour of your feet

Foot type
The inner arch of the foot flattens and allows the foot to absorb the force of striking the ground. Some arches are very low or flat (over pronate), others remain high (under pronate). In general, motion control shoes gives most support (for over pronators), and neutral shoes for those in the middle.

Price
Price does not necessarily guarantee a good running experience. Conversely, there is no need to pay through the nose for the latest model.

Running style
Traditional running shoes are designed for landing on the heels. With the popularity of alternative styles of running, shoes with cushioning on the forefoot, less support or even no support are available to accommodate these running patterns.

Foot factors
Problems with the foot can also influence your shoe selection. For instance, bunions might make it necessary to choose shoes with wider toe-boxes. Those with foot problems with excessive pronation might need shoes that have more rigidity to give torsional stability.

X-factor
Above all else, the shoe must feel comfortable. Use a shoe shop with treadmill facilities that allow you to try the shoe on the spot.

The writer is a Consultant and Head of Sports Medicine And Surgery Clinic, Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
Back to top Go down
Glennloh
Glennloh

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Reddotgolfers Runner
* Uncle Lau
* SaltyDog
* EdMuhamad
* Gray
* glennloh

Update me... Me wanna run also... Tml 1/2 marathon already. Hope to do sundown full marathon on may2012.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training for Marathon   Training for Marathon Empty

Back to top Go down

Training for Marathon
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next