RedDotGolfers

Forum for Singapore Golfers

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics

Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student

Go down 
+2
Uncle Lau
swing2sky
6 posters
AuthorMessage
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student Empty
PostSubject: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Can any Maths expert solve the following question with the simplest answer for a P2 student?

Farmer Peter has some chickens and goats in his farm. The animals have a total of 38 legs. If there are 2 more goats than chickens, how many goats are there?

My working answer below is to difficult for a P2 student to comprehend. Can someone gives me a easier answer?

2C + 4G = 38
G - C = 2
G(2+C)
2C + 4(2+C) = 38
2C + 8 + 4C = 38
6C = 38 - 8
6C = 30
C= 30 / 6
C= 5
G= 7
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:31 pm

My humble answer (i study untill Primary 3)...

1 Goat = 4 legs
1 Chicken = 2 legs

2 more goat = 2x4=8 legs

Equal number of chicken and Goats = 38-8=30

(1 set ) > 1 goat + 1 chicken > 4+2 = 6

30 divide 6 = 5 sets

5+2 = 7

Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student 16911
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:34 pm

If I am not wrong, I think P2 maths needs explanation (not algebra)

2 goats will have total of 8 legs

38 - 8 = 30 legs for the balance of the goats and chickens

1 goat + 1 chicken have a total of 6 legs

So, 30/6 = 5 sets of goats and chickens

Therefore, 5 chickens and 5+2=7 goats

ps. I am not maths expert.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Yes you are not a Maths experts.....but you are 1st class Honours Civil Engineer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks guys, I think so far Bro Silver has the easiest working explanation for a P2 student.

Anymore Bro & Sista have easier explanation than Bro Silver, kindly post. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 pm

You are welcome. Mine is the type of answer most primary school maths teacher expect from the student... i know cos myself and my rabbit (Former Math HOD ) helps out in my son maths. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Uncle Lau wrote:
You are welcome. Mine is the type of answer most primary school maths teacher expect from the student... i know cos myself and my rabbit (Former Math HOD ) helps out in my son maths. Very Happy

So I now know who to ask if I need simple Maths explanation. cheers
Back to top Go down
sdt
Established Member
Established Member
sdt

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

swing2sky wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:

Ask RDG lor........
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 1:49 am

Use model. Now they teach model in school.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 am

swing2sky wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:

You are always welcome....if your child in Primary school, you must attend those workshops offered by your child's school. they will teach parents how today maths works and how parents should to teach their child. They have science, english and even social studies. Do attend this classes.

Any Question just SMS me.

study
Back to top Go down
rocky
Committee
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 3:42 am

I think this is a model question...

Step 1: Assume 4 goats, 2 chicken

G G G G = 16
C C = 4
Total 20 legs. No enough. Go higher

Step 2: Assume 6 goats, 4 chicken
G G G G G G = 24 legs
C C C C = 8 legs
Total 32 legs. Go higher

Step 3: Assume 7 goats, 5 chicken
G G G G G G G = 28 legs
C C C C C = 10 legs

Total 38 legs.
5 chicken, 7 goats.

Slowly work your way up by guess-timate. This method builds understanding of numbers and how numbers work. It's not so much about mechanical steps but rather trains the student to be more aware of how numbers add up.

My 2 cents worth. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student   Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Maths Expert to explain how to get the easiest working answer for a P2 student
Page 1 of 1