RedDotGolfers

Forum for Singapore Golfers

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do we mentally prepare for our game?

Go down 
+6
prettygolf
rocky
Neutralgolfer
moi
LazySwinger
bro_edi
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

How do we mentally prepare for our game? Empty
PostSubject: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Just wanna share some thoughts. After my 2 full games played recently, I noticed something about myself, my mental strength is not that strong, the 'FORCE' is weak !

I noticed, I played badly when the heat from the sun is unbearable !
I can't concentrate, it's just overwhelming.
And that makes me lose my focus and really angers me till feeling wanna quit.

But when the weather starts to cool off and the winds blows,
my game starts to pick up back again.

Do you golfers faced these moments?
How do the lau chiow or season golfers overcomes these ?

Tips so far from,

UL :
Do make use of your umbrella whenever possible to block out the sun.
Park your buggy under the shades if there are trees around.

Bro Moi :
Stay inside the buggy until your turns is called.

Me :
Play more to be more seasoned ???

Any more tips or suggestions will really help a noobie like me .

Sincerely me ....

Bro_Edi
Back to top Go down
LazySwinger
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
LazySwinger

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Bro Edi..last time you were at Bishan, I noticed you have a very strong grip. If you can, try to change it to a more text book, neutral grip so that you avoid hooking your drive or shots going to the left. Just a humble input. Smile
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Yup, BroEdi, u need to change your grip. Your left hand thumb need to be neutral.
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Bro_edi, drink a lot of water. If possible 2 x 1.5 ltr water. 1 x 100Plus or any tonic, 1 x normal water. Need to stay hydrate.

Go range more often, don't just whack balls like no body business. Must hit with the correct swing and every stroke must hit with a PURPOSE.
Different Purposes includes the following;
- If training for accuracy, make sure you have different target with every shot.
- If training for swing stroke, forget about your ball whereabouts, look and concentrate on hitting the ball on sweet spot
- If rectifying stroke, rectify one at a time. Every stroke change will require 200-300 balls before your body muscles can remember them.
- If training driver, try not to mix with irons or vice versa. Don't get me wrong, not saying you cannot, it's more productive if you do it one at a time especially when you are beginner. Split one day driver, one day irons. Even the PRO don't teach both together.

Why go range? Only when you can hit the reasonably well, then you will enjoy the game a little more(less frustration). Trust me, I been there too.

Hope this helps!
Wink
Back to top Go down
rocky
Committee
rocky

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Before an important game, I will practice specific shots that I will use on the course. This is especially true if I am playing on familiar courses.

For example, 150m par 3 hole 17 palm villa (palm course). I will practice a high fade with a 4 hybrid or 4 iron off the tee.

But don't take it from me because I'm still a very high handicapper. Sad
Back to top Go down
prettygolf
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
prettygolf

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 1:22 am

i pray before an important game. How do we mentally prepare for our game? 16911
Back to top Go down
RedPhoenix
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
RedPhoenix

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 1:27 am

Hi Bro_edi, when the weather is hot, there's only so much you can do, take off your clothes (of course not advisable), use umbrella, stay in the shade, drink more water etc., you can carry a cool box filled with ice and a cold towel for your face when the heat gets to you Sad

Please let me add another tip, instead of 'fighting' the elements - the heat, the sweat, take a min or 30 sec in between shots, close your eyes, take deep breaths and tell yourself to calm down, 'blend' in the elements, that you're feeling good. The results will amaze you! I've used this technique before as I like you often found myself hot and bothered, fed up and just wanted to get the shot done and over with. No The results were often disastrous! After some 'self-talk' I found that I was calmer and able to focus, played better with good results Smile
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 am

RP, sounds like yoga technic to me. Wow. Never thot of that. Must apply this in my nex game under the blazing sun
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 pm

LazySwinger wrote:
Bro Edi..last time you were at Bishan, I noticed you have a very strong grip. If you can, try to change it to a more text book, neutral grip so that you avoid hooking your drive or shots going to the left. Just a humble input. Smile

Hiye bro,

I did start with a neutral grip but my ball always fade to the right.
Some changes were made and now I am feeling comfortable with the strong grip.
I have no problem with my irons & wedges.
Problems arises when I start using my drivers.

Any input given is greatly appreciated !
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

moiâ„¢ wrote:
Yup, BroEdi, u need to change your grip. Your left hand thumb need to be neutral.

Bro Moi,

I feel comfortable with the strong grip for the irons & wedges but not for the driver.
Bro Fabulouse, did advise me when we were in Mellaca.
I will try it out during my next range practise.

:-)
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm

RedPhoenix wrote:
Hi Bro_edi, when the weather is hot, there's only so much you can do, take off your clothes (of course not advisable), use umbrella, stay in the shade, drink more water etc., you can carry a cool box filled with ice and a cold towel for your face when the heat gets to you Sad

Please let me add another tip, instead of 'fighting' the elements - the heat, the sweat, take a min or 30 sec in between shots, close your eyes, take deep breaths and tell yourself to calm down, 'blend' in the elements, that you're feeling good. The results will amaze you! I've used this technique before as I like you often found myself hot and bothered, fed up and just wanted to get the shot done and over with. No The results were often disastrous! After some 'self-talk' I found that I was calmer and able to focus, played better with good results Smile

Allo Bro RedPhoenix,

Thank you for the fruitfull advise.
I will heed ur advise and will try to follow it next time when I'm out there !
Weather is the major distraction for me.

cheers !
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm

prettygolf wrote:

Yup, me too !
Back to top Go down
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm

prettygolf wrote:

Pray to the beer? How do we mentally prepare for our game? 16911
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm

bro_edi wrote:
RedPhoenix wrote:

Allo Bro RedPhoenix,

cheers !

Ah Bang Edi, Redphoenix is a chan tek ka ka (jie jie / sister) dah
How do we mentally prepare for our game? 16911
I made that mistake before too...
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi Bro Neutralgolfer,

Thank you for your advise.
I do have a target, every time I go to the range.
Most of it is spent on distance and accuracy.

My questions & worries is how can I overcome the mental & external distraction when I am on the course.

As this is only my second full game, I still need all the help and advise available !

cheers ....;-)
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:20 pm

jazz_samz wrote:
bro_edi wrote:
RedPhoenix wrote:

Allo Bro RedPhoenix,

cheers !

Ah Bang Edi, Redphoenix is a chan tek ka ka (jie jie / sister) dah
How do we mentally prepare for our game? 16911
I made that mistake before too...

Alamak.... Bro Jazz_Samz, thanks for the valuable info, hihi....!

Sorry Sis RedPhoenix, Thousand Apologies !!!
Back to top Go down
KingCobra
Committee
KingCobra

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Bro Edi,

I normally have a wet face towel with me. Once the heat kick in,
I will apply the cool towel to my face, neck and arms to cool off the
heat. Wet the towel again after 1st nine.....as it will dry up.

Tiger Woods uses this all the time.....as stated in this book.....I
just copy him lah........hahaha.........

But trust me......it works!!!
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Great advise !
Will definitely standby a wet towel next time.
I was just contemplating to get a mini ice cooler to tag along, hehe !

Thumbs Up bro , thanks !
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Bro... get those coleman ones.... Can put ice towel & ROOTBEER!!!!!
Back to top Go down
bro_edi
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
bro_edi

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Where can I get it bro ?
Need to check out a few brands first ... :-)
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:14 pm

MUSTAFA... Cheap dah... kekek Really...
Unless someone knows of a better place...

Or wait for Isetan sale where members have discount, then buy...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do we mentally prepare for our game?   How do we mentally prepare for our game? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do we mentally prepare for our game?
Page 1 of 1