RedDotGolfers

Forum for Singapore Golfers

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)

Go down 
+3
YC.Low
Neutralgolfer
pocketace
7 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) Empty
PostSubject: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 am

Folks

I recently had the privilege of playing 2 rounds at the Nirwana Bali Golf Club over the long (Ramadan) weekend. Here are some pictures and my review of the course.

(1) Course Layout
This is a Greg Norman aka The Shark designed course. He managed to beautifully carve out 18 holes out of a piece of land that has the Pan Pacific resort & owner occupied villas surrounding it. The holes along the dramatic coast overlook cliffs and crashing waves.
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 050
The signature hole has the famed Tanah Lot Temple in the background. What a sight to behold!
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 039

For some holes that are further inland, your will see stepped padi fields lining the fairways and some tee boxes.That by itself is quite a unique design. My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 031
Off the tee, it is quite straight forward. Greg Norman placed the fairway bunkers to intimidate you but you usually have options off the tee to hit over them or around them.
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 185589_10151102234843470_625950838_n
Not much blind spots off the tee. The tricky part is to be in the right position for your 2nd shot. Quite a no. of holes have a stream or gully short of the green. Any hero shot that is poorly executed will find the watery grave. My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 020
Make sure you ask your caddy about hazards before the green. I will suggest laying up to get a putt for par, or walk off with a bogey if you find yourself in a spot of bother off the tee.

(2) Course Difficulty. It is a relatively open resort course. There are 4 tee boxes available for play to test players of all skill levels
(a) Black aka SHARK (6,805y / 6,223m) - Slope index (74.2/146)
(b) Blue aka CHAMP (6,308y / 5,767m) - Slope index (73.1 / 142)
(c) White aka RESORT (6,002y / 5,488m) - Slope index (70.7 / 134)
(d) Red aka FORWARD (5,157y / 4,716m) - Slope index (72.5 / 136)

I played off the Blue on both days. Although distance wise, it is not punishing, the slope index is higher than what I am used to. It is also very windy in this time of the year (evident by the numerous no. of kites in the sky; I was told it was the annual kite competition in Bali last month). The wind and slope factor made club selection rather tricky. A couple of tee shots along the coast require you to commit to a shot across a ravine or overhanging cliff in windy conditions. My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 029
That is quite heart stopping!

I'm a 16 hcp and I came back with a humbling 98 on day one despite managing 6 pars. Too many blow holes and lack of familiarity to the course being my excuse! I managed to salvage some pride with a 89 on day two, also with 6 pars. This time course knowledge helped a lot and my ability to tame the tricky greens contributed somewhat.My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 054

(3) Course Condition - this is my assessment, so take it with a pinch of salt
(a) Tee Box - 9/10
(b) Bunker - 9/10
(c) Fairway - 9/10
(d) Putting Green - 9/10
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 034
On a whole, I have nothing but good things to say about the course condition. Only TMCC Gardens and Sentosa Serapong is 10/10 IMHO!

(4) Caddies / Golf Cart
My caddy is quite knowledgeable and quickly convert Yards to Meters (what I'm used to) to help me with club selection. Line reading is good but her ability to line the putts is inconsistent. Then again, the golfer is responsible for his own game, so, no complaints from my end! Caddy tip is recommended at 100k Ruppiah onwards. The caddies are very polite and helpful. We requested for our same caddies over the 2 days.
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 028
Here are the caddies offering some 'eye power' while the Missus lines her putt up. In the background is also our lovely playing partners Frank and Mary from Australia paired with us in day one.

Golf cart is good, powerful to climb slopes and running on battery, unlike some of the lesser courses in the region who convert their golf carts to (smelly) desiel-engined ones. As each player must have a caddy, the golf cart has a proper stand behind each golf bag to let the caddy stand safely. Thumbs up to that!

(5) Summary
On the whole, if you enjoyed Ria Bintan Golf course, then you will definitely enjoy Nirwana Bali Golf course. It is on a higher level altogether, and the higher green fees justify the elevated status it enjoys. This golf course has won a slew of awards and deservingly so!
My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 027

I hope you enjoyed my review and the pictures. I would like to thank CIMB for making arrangements for us to play at Nirwana Bali Golf Club over the weekend... for free! This is part of the CIMB World Mastercard golf privileges program. Nothing in it for me (I work for another bank, for those who knows me!), just sharing cheers

One last pic My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) 049
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:44 am

Nice course, nice review... tks bro!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:49 am

Thanks bro.
Back to top Go down
YC.Low
Committee
YC.Low

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 am

wow... look damn nice and challenging
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 am

thanks for sharing....my standard only can play at NSRCC... Cool
Back to top Go down
BBG07
BBG07

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Nice course...
Back to top Go down
Daffu
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Daffu

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Bro,

Nice FR. Can advice how much to play there for 2 days plus lodging?
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Bro pocketace, thanks for the course review. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Daffu wrote:
Bro,

Nice FR. Can advice how much to play there for 2 days plus lodging?

Thanks Bro. Uh... this question is damn hard to answer... the answer is Depends

(1) What class hotel you wanna stay, will determine how much per night

(2) where in bali you are staying will determine how much taxi you need to pay to get to the course

(3) what kind of airlines you use... SQ cost more than budget. I flew budget btw

(4) Green fee... mine is free compliments of CIMB card. If you stay in Pan Pacific Nirwana you play at discounted green fees.

(5) Makan... what you like to eat, and where you like to eat will also be a factor.

that's why the answer is Depends lah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)   My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive) Empty

Back to top Go down

My Review of Nirwana Bali Golf Course (Pics Intensive)
Page 1 of 1