Silver
daztasiumz
wolverine
10 posters
AuthorMessage
wolverine
wolverine

An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats Empty
PostSubject: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 8:00 am

By Godfrey Robert
The New Paper
Sunday, Nov 04, 2012

SINGAPORE - Four golfers in the same flight finish 1-2-3-4 in a corporate event.

Amateurs in the same flight sweep all the novelty events - four nearest-the-pin prizes and the nearest-the-line booty.

An 18-handicapper plays a nine-over 81 in a corporate event where the big prize is a trip to South Africa.

A golfer wins a corporate event with 45 stableford points.

All these can only happen in Singapore where cheating and "sand-bagging" have been turned into art.

Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game where honesty and integrity are paramount.

But trends and behaviour on the golf courses in Singapore make a mockery of that belief.

Ridiculous situations

These ridiculous situations are becoming so commonplace in local corporate events and competitions that
embarrassed players these days are ignoring these cheating habits and considering them as par for the course.

I have often seen amateurs move their golf ball - one even kicked the ball a good five metres nearer the green while being behind a big slope.

I have also watched golfers marking their golf ball on the green a couple of inches closer to the hole.

Worse, playing among friends in the same flight, some golfers cheat on their scores and offer "gimmes" when the ball is beyond putter length.

So how do you stop these bad habits that bring disgrace to the supposedly "squeaky clean" image of the game?

Education is one solution, with the teaching pros and instructors drumming into their students going for the proficiency
certificate (PC) or handicaps the importance of honesty.

Another solution is enforcing strict rules that not all four buddies play in the same flight and that cards should be exchanged in competitions.

I understand that this could be a problem when a sponsor buys a flight and is given the luxury of choosing his players to make up the flight.

But how else can you stop the cheating? Dishonest moves must be checked with drastic steps.

Also, to ensure that golfers do not doctor their handicaps, maybe clubs staging corporate events should submit the scores
of the top 10 or so players to the Singapore Golf Association, who in turn can relay them to the players' respective clubs.

It is said that Samson Gimson, once Singapore's No. 1 golfer, ruined his lucrative golf career after losing a heavy bet
(running into thousands) during a "saddam" - one against three - bet against three amateurs who played better than their handicaps.

M. Murugiah, the Singapore Professional Golfers' Association president, said: "I have played against many amateurs who had
over-declared on their handicaps.

"It is difficult to keep a check on their handicaps because in golf a lot of things are done with honesty, sincerity and trust.

"But I agree that this form of cheating is rampant in Singapore because there are good prizes offered."

Organisers are becoming wiser to this trend and are beginning to ensure that golf prizes are no more than mere trophies.

And the emphasis these days is on better and better lucky draw prizes.

It is a shame though. For while in Japan and in some parts of Europe amateurs take pride in lowering their handicaps, there are bad hats in Singapore who do the reverse.

And they don't mind being called "buayas".
Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyFri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm

shame on them.. some still go ard braging how many titles they won
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 12:31 am

Time to skin them crocs and make limited edition golf shoes?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
TDO

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 am

I took part in U Live Golf Challenge at OCC last Friday. And you know what, the champion in A Division for Hcp 1 to 18 scored 49 Stableford points. Mad Technically, that means that bugger played 13 under his handicap. Slow clap around when it was announced.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 2:12 am

They are just worth as much as their prize cup or medals...nothing more.... Cool
Back to top Go down
daztasiumz
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
daztasiumz

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 3:44 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
They are just worth as much as their prize cup or medals...nothing more.... Cool

And haunted by the fake trophies they won over their lifetime
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 am

Nothing new in Singapore..Sigh.. No
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 3:33 pm

swing2sky wrote:
Nothing new in Singapore..Sigh.. No

But golfers injured ankle on skateboard...very rare... An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats 974937
Back to top Go down
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
TDO

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Dear bros & Sis,

To carry on from where we left off for the U Live Golf Challenge 2012, here are the results that I received today for your viewing pleasure.

Unfortunately, I could not play as well as I would like scoring just 33 stableford points and lying 50 out of 65 position. I wonder if I would be able to score just as well as the winner with 49 stableford points. Basing on my current handicap, I would have to play my career best of 73 in order to achieve that. Will that ever happen in my entire golfing career? I am looking forward to that. I would be happy if it's in a social game not to mention a tournament.

An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats MensA1of2

An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats MensA2of2

An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats MensB1of2

Last edited by TDO on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Handicap 20 play 82????
Back to top Go down
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Handicap 21 play 83???
Back to top Go down
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
TDO

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 am

Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa wrote:
Handicap 20 play 82????

No, Bro, 20.6 played 82. I have never achieved that before when I was a Hcp 20. Maybe it's because I am not good enough or don't have luck with me. Got my best ever score of 81 only 2 times, and that when I was and am a Hcp 14 to 15. I remember I played my best score to be 87 when I was Hcp 20. That was a long time ago. Sad
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am

Buaya infested tournament.

I have witnessed that in a few tournaments many many years back (highest of 54 points by a lady) and its no surprise that the trend continues. Shameless and no integrity is all i have to say.

This goes to show that the pen is mightier than the sword.
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:32 am

What is this "U Li_e Golf Challenge 2012"?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
TDO

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 am

Silver wrote:

U Live is an arm of NTUC for Senior Citizens age 55 and above.

Refer to link. http://www.ulive.com.sg/
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 am

this tournament damn scary, highest score is 104 ....

lots of hidden tiger crouching dragon .... Sad
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 am

The main problem is some golf non estate clubs do not follow the USGA guidelines for maintaining the golf handicap system. One of the criteria is to have peer appraisal for the club members, i.e. they have to play games with the other club members periodically to ensure their playing capabilities are monitored and appraised.

I know MGK and a few clubs, do not follow these guides, they are only interested in making money and any how allow members to submit scores without doing the peer appraisals.

These are the breeding ground for Buayas....

Back to top Go down
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:50 am

TDO wrote:
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa wrote:
Handicap 20 play 82????

No, Bro, 20.6 played 82. I have never achieved that before when I was a Hcp 20. Maybe it's because I am not good enough or don't have luck with me. Got my best ever score of 81 only 2 times, and that when I was and am a Hcp 14 to 15. I remember I played my best score to be 87 when I was Hcp 20. That was a long time ago. Sad

Exactly my point!!

Handicap almost 21 play 82?

Kidding... its nowhere near.. they should be banned

If im there and i see the report i will make noise and suan the winner!
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:19 am

TDO wrote:
Silver wrote:

U Live is an arm of NTUC for Senior Citizens age 55 and above.

Refer to link. http://www.ulive.com.sg/

They Li_e?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
TDO

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 am

Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa wrote:
TDO wrote:
Cocaaaa-Colaaaaaa wrote:
Handicap 20 play 82????

Exactly my point!!

Handicap almost 21 play 82?

Kidding... its nowhere near.. they should be banned

If im there and i see the report i will make noise and suan the winner!

That's why the audience "slow clapped" when the supposedly champion went up to the stage. Wonder if he feels embarrassed. Shocked
Back to top Go down
TDO
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
TDO

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 am

s-killer wrote:
this tournament damn scary, highest score is 104 ....

lots of hidden tiger crouching dragon .... Sad

This reminds me of a private tournament I took part way back in 1998 when it was hosted in Tering Bay. We played off the Black Tee. Wow! First time I ever played in a Black Tee. Came back with the 104 score and in 4th position. Man, can hardly get the Par 4s in two. Most of the time 3 on the green for the Par 4s. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats   An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats Empty

Back to top Go down

An Article by AsiaOne- Beware of the Buayas and the Cheats
Page 1 of 1