Uncle Lau
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Tips to improve one's putting Empty
PostSubject: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 am

My dear fellow RDGers ! Got any good tips to improve one putting skills beside buying $$$$ putters for ego and to scare one's playing kakis....Come and shared some tips here for everyone especially beginners golfers... Idea

Lately i been trying this at my sidekick place....i called it Putt for Dough monkey

I read this in some magazine years back...we place a S$2 on the floor from around 15ft to 20ft, we would take turn to try to roll the ball onto the note. If one ball roll on, the note belong to the person. I find this drill very good as it teaches us to focus, feel the pressure and to improved one nerve. It not easy to roll the ball on as judgement must be tested as well as pressure felt filled evnironment. santa

Come and share with everyone one putting skill

UL
Editor

study

Last edited by Uncle Lau on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:58 am

UL starts to gamble more liao..... Tips to improve one's putting 16911
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 am

try with $10 note
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:17 am

but seriously though, read this in Tommy Armour's book - "To become a good putter the main requisites are to keep the head dead still and make the putter blade go accurately toward the hole."

wish you luck in winning the moolahs
Back to top Go down
salty dog
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
salty dog

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:42 am

Neutralgolfer wrote:

UL never changed lah, did you read carefully what he wrote: "If one ball roll on, the note belows to the person".

He said "belows" not "belongs". Smile
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Established Member
Established Member
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 am

Silver wrote:
but seriously though, read this in Tommy Armour's book - "To become a good putter the main requisites are to keep the head dead still and make the putter blade go accurately toward the hole."

wish you luck in winning the moolahs

I am not sure about this.....you don't always make the putter blade go to the hole....especially when there is a big break. You have to aim away from the hole.
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 am

salty dog wrote:
Neutralgolfer wrote:

UL never changed lah, did you read carefully what he wrote: "If one ball roll on, the note belows to the person".

What does "belows to a person" means huh? His England very powderful leh.... What a Face

Last edited by Neutralgolfer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Silver

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 am

good point - but that was what is written - applicable to dead straight putt, without break - for all situations, it should read "make the putter blade go accurately along the putting line at point of impact"
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
jaketang

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:20 am

practise.........
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Established Member
Established Member
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:35 am

I think the key to good putting is a calm mind and firm commitment to that stroke. Most beginners I notice hesitates when they putt, and as such always short of the hole.

Of course, knowledge of reading breaks and grains will help alot in deciding the breaks and the rolls.
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 5:24 am

Talk about betting on putting....I want to take revenge from Tiley kor kor & KC.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Reaper
Established Member
Established Member
Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 am

Stroke the ball, dont strike it..... Stroke it stroke it......

Stick to your stroke and try not to make too many quick fixes to it. When I first started out for the first 6 months, I couldnt putt to save my life as I kept changing grip styles, putter styles, hit / stroke, set up etc etc. Until I got so frustrated, I sticked to one style that I felt the most comfortable with and just practiced and practiced. I now average 32 putts....

Which I am very thankful for because the rest of my gol game sucks........ Tips to improve one's putting 267277

Last edited by Reaper on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 5:53 am

Reaper wrote:

Sounds dirty..... lol!
Back to top Go down
Ironman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Ironman

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:04 am

Need to practice and get good control distance rolls or putt .. I like to roll my ball in different distance from 5 ft, 10 ft, 15 ft .. etc .. practice on flat, uphill and down hill slope .. Unless you are able to control your speed than 2 putts would be not difficult to achieve ..

Than consider to learn how to look at breaks .. uphill break, down hill break, right to left or left to right ..

I have this speed drills called the "D" drill.

set up
- Find a level or slightly uphill putt
- Place tees in the ground at 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 feet from the hole
- Place tees around the cup to form a "D" behind it (about 2 ft away from cup each tee )

Drill
- Start putting from 10 feet
- Putt 2 balls. You must place both balls within the "D" to move back a tee
- If you make only one out of two, stay on the same tee
- If none of your putts finish within the "D", then move back to the previous tee

Back to top Go down
Reaper
Established Member
Established Member
Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:43 am

Neutralgolfer wrote:
Reaper wrote:

Sounds dirty..... lol!

Tips to improve one's putting 472247
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 8:12 am

salty dog wrote:
Neutralgolfer wrote:

Thanks sidekick for pointing out my typo error...how come ask you spot golf balls you always missed ah ??? pig
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Established Member
Established Member
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Recently read Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr.Bob Rotella... I hope I will improve my putting after that...

Now I have decided to stick to my putting style although it is a bit unconventional...

I really like the book and recommend those who have not read it. There are many things that I feel it makes a lot of sense....
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 pm

sandkie wrote:
Recently read Putting Out of Your Mind by Dr.Bob Rotella... I hope I will improve my putting after that...

Now I have decided to stick to my putting style although it is a bit unconventional...

I really like the book and recommend those who have not read it. There are many things that I feel it makes a lot of sense....

Do share with us more bro. This mental part of the game is the most important ! Like they said.. " Golf is played in a space between our two ears "
cyclops
Back to top Go down
Ironman
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
Ironman

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Wow, talking about Mental game. You just hit my sweet spot .. I have mental block in Nov and Dec last year and done some search on mental game in golf.

I really learn allot .. Now, I know why I swing well yesterday but swing poorly today ... It is all in the mind and whether you can handle it and manage it ...

Did anyone read a book called "Zen Golf Mastering the mental game by DR. Joseph Parent". I strongly recommend it if you want to know more about mental game in golf.
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Established Member
Established Member
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Too many good stuff to share there. One of his belief is that putting is 90% mental and 10% mechanic. Yet the good news is that among golf shots, putting is the least mechanic. As long you can throw a ball to people with good accuracy you have the ability to be a great putter. encouraging right?

But I also realized that working on mental aspects is really challenging.

He encourages us to think about the target, love putting, look forward to it, stick to routine, always putt to make it but also putt as if you don't really care if you miss it.

I like one of his conversation with his mother. She asks him what he tells to people about golf that they are paying him. He replies he helps them most by asking them to think about the target when they putt. She then said, what else are they supposed to think when they putt? He replied, you will be amazed.

I am definitely guilty about this. I think about my stroke when I putt, I think about what if I miss, my current score, how far I am from the opponent score.
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 pm

After reading all these pointers, I'm really to challenge Moi kor kor.. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Kookk

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 am

Play so big meh? Tips to improve one's putting 267277
Back to top Go down
mariateo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 2:06 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
sandkie wrote:

Do share with us more bro. This mental part of the game is the most important ! Like they said.. " Golf is played in a space between our two ears "
cyclops
Sad Sad Sad no wonder my game so bad lar.... cos my space there is empty de I love you
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 4:23 am

mariateo wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:
sandkie wrote:

cyclops
Sad Sad Sad no wonder my game so bad lar.... cos my space there is empty de I love you

when you play golf, better empty..

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 am

You mean maria wallet ??? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips to improve one's putting   Tips to improve one's putting Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips to improve one's putting
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next