12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? Empty
PostSubject: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:53 am

Dear all, can you share the tips of hitting long irons? I got difficulties in hitting these 3 irons consistently. Tks
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:01 am

Cut the iron short. How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? 16911 Kidding...
My bag do not have 3 and 4 iron because i sama same as u...dunno how to hit. But i still can manage a 5 iron. *Just remember...easy back swing and do not rush the downswing. Imagine that as a 6 iron and forget about the distance you are going to go for.

*My view. Might not be right.
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:20 am

I only use up to 5i. for 4 I use hybrid... then 5W, 3W
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:35 am

In my opinion, you need to have fast swing speed to hit the long irons. If speed not enough, your distance will be like 7 iron. So it is a waste of effort.

Better to use hybrid or wood to replace the long irons.

Just my 2 cents. Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
jaketang

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:25 am

hit yr driver long enuff...then dun need 3-5irons liao...
Smile
Back to top Go down
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:30 am

jaketang wrote:
hit yr driver long enuff...then dun need 3-5irons liao...
Smile

Bro, I'm talking 2nd or 3rd shot! sigh...I think I might need to buy hybrid liao.
Back to top Go down
badboy
badboy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 am

for me only use have 4 iron on my golf bag is to hit below wind not distance and also below tree back to fairway
.... Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tomcat
Tomcat

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:30 am

Do not force your swing. Thats very impt to avoid slice. 80% of right handed golfers slice when it comes to long iron.

I give you example... if you need to reach 160m, and your 4iron can do it (Provided it do not slice), take a 3iron instead, and give it a simple swing. Guarantee your shot is straight and reach 160m.

Smile This is what I do. Then you will ask, what about 3iron to reach 170m? dun have 2iron wor...

My answer.. Classic... When you learn how to control your 4 iron, you will know how to control your 3iron.

hehe... Tomcat
Back to top Go down
badboy
badboy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:00 am

i do agreen with tomcat . Keep it simple .
he he Very Happy
badboy play bad golf is way .. Razz
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am

Ya, agree. Fast swing speed is not forcing...very different hor.
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 7:49 am

Force = Painful result
Back to top Go down
Neo
Established Member
Established Member
Neo

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 8:41 am

My longest iron is 4I and only use to Tee off on par 3 holes with 170m to 180m. Still cannot manage 4I on fairway, my chances of getting full effect is less than 40%.

On fairway with 170-180m distance, I am using my 5W. If Tee-off, my 5W is about 190m+-.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
jaketang

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:15 am

wow... neo is a long hitter....

5w 190m++...tht's far....
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:26 am

Tomcat wrote:
Do not force your swing. Thats very impt to avoid slice. 80% of right handed golfers slice when it comes to long iron.

I give you example... if you need to reach 160m, and your 4iron can do it (Provided it do not slice), take a 3iron instead, and give it a simple swing. Guarantee your shot is straight and reach 160m.

Smile This is what I do. Then you will ask, what about 3iron to reach 170m? dun have 2iron wor...

My answer.. Classic... When you learn how to control your 4 iron, you will know how to control your 3iron.

hehe... Tomcat

Well said ! Yes i think i force my 4 irons and always top it. Thanks TC ! How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? 7324
Back to top Go down
Snowman
Established Member
Established Member
Snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:30 am

Long irons put more spin on the ball, and consequently it's easier to stop the ball quickly on the green with a long iron than with a wood. Irons also offer a bit more control. Deciding you want to hit your long irons successfully is the easy part, actually doing so it a little tougher. You have to begin by removing all self-doubt and negative stigma you may have previously associated with your longer irons. Start from scratch with a fresh approach.As far as set up with long irons, you may want to widen your stance by a few inches to give you more balance and a wider base to work from. In terms of swing, I tend to focus on taking the club back low and slow (almost like when hitting a driver). From there, swing the same as you would with a short iron. Don't rush it or try to kill it. Make a nice easy swing and focus on your target and the results you want to achieve, rather than all the mechanical stuff. When I'm hitting my long irons, I often pretend that I'm hitting my seven iron. This keeps me calm and helps me make a smoother swing than I would if I knew I had to nail my three iron 180-plus m over water to the green. As always, practice the weaker parts of your game before you take it to the course. You can't expect to achieve perfection overnight with your long irons
Back to top Go down
Neo
Established Member
Established Member
Neo

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:49 am

jaketang wrote:

Hi Jake

It should be 190m+ - , means 185 to 195m. Anyway I can only do this disctance on tee-off with 5W, but when comes to fairway, I can only do at 170m to 180m.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Highly Valued Member
Highly Valued Member
jaketang

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:54 am

Neo wrote:
jaketang wrote:

Hi Jake

It should be 190m+ - , means 185 to 195m. Anyway I can only do this disctance on tee-off with 5W, but when comes to fairway, I can only do at 170m to 180m.

still far bro....

anyone can put a 180m shot consistently from the fairway is very good..... dun think many can say tht.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
KingCobra
Committee
KingCobra

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 am

Seiko wrote:
Dear all, can you share the tips of hitting long irons? I got difficulties in hitting these 3 irons consistently. Tks

Bro Seiko,

IMHO, Hitting a long iron has a lot to do with your setup at address.

1. The ball should be placed 1 or 2 balls to the left (for right hander), or directly below your left chest logo.

2. Tilt your upper body slightly to the right side, to promote a sweeping blow at impact. If anyone set up straight, like hitting a short iron, the downswing will be too steep, thus losing a lot of distance.

3. Have a light grip on the club, sweep the clubhead away (do NOT lift the club), keep it long and low on the takeaway. Make sure you make a full shoulder turn, and accelerate thru at impact (do NOT try to hit the ball, that will kill all power).

4. Finally, practice on the range with a low tee first. After you can hit consistently long, then practice without the tee. Practice make perfect!

Remember.....its all in the SETUP at address! A basic which many tends to forget or overlook.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 pm

YES SIR ! 8)
Back to top Go down
badboy
badboy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Cobra you right ma..
i be practices for many month ma...

so i think i practices right a way now...

cheers thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:47 pm

KingCobra wrote:
Seiko wrote:

Bro Seiko,

1. The ball should be placed 1 or 2 balls to the left (for right hander), or directly below your left chest logo.

2. Tilt your upper body slightly to the right side, to promote a sweeping blow at impact. If anyone set up straight, like hitting a short iron, the downswing will be too steep, thus losing a lot of distance.

3. Have a light grip on the club, sweep the clubhead away (do NOT lift the club), keep it long and low on the takeaway. Make sure you make a full shoulder turn, and accelerate thru at impact (do NOT try to hit the ball, that will kill all power).

4. Finally, practice on the range with a low tee first. After you can hit consistently long, then practice without the tee. Practice make perfect!

Remember.....its all in the SETUP at address! A basic which many tends to forget or overlook.

Cheers!

Bro King Cobra,

Thank u for your details writing!

Your pt 1 & 2 is quite similar to my driver address except ball position. I do not really understand pt 3. Can u demonstrate on the 25?
Back to top Go down
KingCobra
Committee
KingCobra

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Seiko wrote:
KingCobra wrote:
Seiko wrote:

Bro Seiko,

Cheers!

Bro King Cobra,

Thank u for your details writing!

Your pt 1 & 2 is quite similar to my driver address except ball position. I do not really understand pt 3. Can u demonstrate on the 25?

Sure, Bro Seiko! It's my pleasure.
Back to top Go down
KingCobra
Committee
KingCobra

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Bro Seiko,

Check out this video on Point no.3. This will help you swing thru the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBFLHjDA7rw&feature=related

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
KingCobra
Committee
KingCobra

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Bro Seiko,

Here is the video:

Back to top Go down
Snowman
Established Member
Established Member
Snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Nice video.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?   How to hit long irons 3-4-5i? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to hit long irons 3-4-5i?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next