Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Established Member
Established Member
pocketace

Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Empty
PostSubject: Mauritius Heritage Golf Club    Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 pm

After my exploits at Tamarina and Gymkhana golf clubs, I made a trip to Golf Du Chateu or now known as Heritage Golf Club in the southern part of Mauritius, in the area known as Bel Ombre. Here are some pictures and my review of the course.
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zps074ca7a8

(1) Course Layout
Although this course is not right smack along the southern coast, but it is pretty close. It similarly has villas surrounding it and certain holes allow you to view the blue oceans from a distance. This course has views of the hilly moutainous areas with lots of agricultural land on the hill side. It is generally a flatish course with winds howling. I played with a chap from London and he said the winds are nothing compared to the Scottish links!
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zpsef0e78c4

(2) Course Difficulty. It is a relatively open resort course. There are 5 tee boxes available for play to test players of all skill levels
(a) Gold aka Professiona (6,698m)
(b) White (yup, they don't call it Blue here) aka Championship (6,121m)
(c) Blue (yup, they don't call it White here) aka Mens Club (5,740m)
(d) Green aka Seniors (5,2,14m)
(e) Red aka Ladies (4,761m)

I played off the Blue and it is quite long. When teeing into the wind, it will make some holes play quite long. Conversely, if you are downwind, you can bomb quite a few record drives!
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zps6f71409a

(3) Course Condition - this is my assessment, so take it with a pinch of salt
(a) Tee Box - 9/10
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zps42a78776
(b) Bunker - 9/10
(c) Fairway - 9/10
(d) Putting Green - I don't think it is fair of me to grade the green as it was undergoing a sanding process and it was very sandy and bumpy. They course marshall said they are getting the course ready for the peak period as winter draws to a close. But I can see that the greens are fairly undulating and I can imagine that once the sanding process is completed, the greens will be quite challenging to putt on!
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zps43a590f8

On a whole, the course is much better maintained compared to Tamarina IMHO. Both are beautiful in their own ways

(4) Golf Cart / clubhouse / Changing room
I am not happy with the cart. The strap keeps coming off and my golf bag actually came off the cart twice! The catch is loose, so I recommend you keep a rubber bungee cord in your bag. Performance wise, it is up to the task. Club house is fairly compact and the changing room is neatly laid out. There are about 30 lockers and 3 showers just to give you a flavour how busy the club is.
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zpscf6a1b87

(5) Summary
I really enjoyed this course in the south of Mauritius. The surroundings are beautiful (loads of sugarcane plantations) and the scenary different from that of Tamarina. The winds made my club selection really challenging. As it was my first trip here, I was taking pictures more than focusing on playing! Mauritius is really blessed with such beautiful courses I look forward to coming back here to play when the green conditions improved in the months ahead!
Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Photo_zps13ffc31f

Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mauritius Heritage Golf Club    Mauritius Heritage Golf Club  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for sharing... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Mauritius Heritage Golf Club
Page 1 of 1