Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 am

A round of social game, a long par 3, 170m across pond, 4 players A, B, C and D played their shots. Upon reaching the green, they discovered that around the flag a large white circle have spray on the green. Furthest away from the hole was player D, he putted and make a birdie. Player A than take his line and putted, the ball makes it way toward the holes, pass the white circle line but still far from one putter lenghth. He take walked toward it and take the ball and say TAKEN .... Shocked

Is he allow to do it ? What does the white circle line around the flag represent ??? Any penalty for Social, match or golf tournaments ???

study
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am

The white circle only on 1 hole or every hole?
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 am

I think the white round circle is GUR.

Unless your ball is in the GUR, then you are allowed to have free relief. If your ball just pass the GUR, then play as per normal.

You can penalize the player A if you think he has lifted the ball wrongly.
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 am

In some social tournament, the organizer may draw white circle around the flag on the green to speed up pace of play for putting. If the organizer has broadcasted such putting rule before the start of the tournament to all participants that ball may be lifted upon entering the white circle, player A is allowed to lift the ball and add 1 stroke to the score.

Is this correct, rule offical Bro KP?

Back to top Go down
kp
Certified Rules Official
Certified Rules Official
kp

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:32 pm

swing2sky wrote:
In some social tournament, the organizer may draw white circle around the flag on the green to speed up pace of play for putting. If the organizer has broadcasted such putting rule before the start of the tournament to all participants that ball may be lifted upon entering the white circle, player A is allowed to lift the ball and add 1 stroke to the score.

Well, the white circle has no significance in a social game, because in the first place it should not even be there. It is probably left behind by some golf event the day before, or is meant for an event later that day.

In the case of golf event......yeah it is meant to speed up play. But it is not in accordance with Rules of Golf. So, even if the organisers announce this, it is an "illegal' rule. Erm....I think RDG also has this putter length rule in our tournament Very Happy

If, like what NG said, it is GUR, the Green Committee must mark the area with a sign. But how can there be GUR surrounding the hole?

Now on golf ruling. If the player picks up his ball, he has breached Rule 20-1, which incurs 1 penalty stroke and the ball must be replaced.

If he does not, then he has breached Rule 3-2 (Failure to hole out) which is a DQ case if he does not correct his mistake before he tees off at the next teeing ground, or in the case of last hole, before he leaves the putting green.

I hope this will benefit Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks KP, I am Player D, Player A is....... W.I.M.P? PART 69 974937
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 am

kp wrote:
swing2sky wrote:

Well, the white circle has no significance in a social game, because in the first place it should not even be there. It is probably left behind by some golf event the day before, or is meant for an event later that day.

In the case of golf event......yeah it is meant to speed up play. But it is not in accordance with Rules of Golf. So, even if the organisers announce this, it is an "illegal' rule. Erm....I think RDG also has this putter length rule in our tournament Very Happy

If, like what NG said, it is GUR, the Green Committee must mark the area with a sign. But how can there be GUR surrounding the hole?

Now on golf ruling. If the player picks up his ball, he has breached Rule 20-1, which incurs 1 penalty stroke and the ball must be replaced.

If he does not, then he has breached Rule 3-2 (Failure to hole out) which is a DQ case if he does not correct his mistake before he tees off at the next teeing ground, or in the case of last hole, before he leaves the putting green.

Thanks Bro kp for the penalty portion. But what if it's announce as a 'rule' to speed pace of play by the event organizer in a social setting? Can we not follow?

Back to top Go down
kp
Certified Rules Official
Certified Rules Official
kp

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 1:00 pm

swing2sky wrote:
kp wrote:
swing2sky wrote:

Thanks Bro kp for the penalty portion. But what if it's announce as a 'rule' to speed pace of play by the event organiser in a social setting? Can we not follow?

As a Rules Official, I'd say that the Organisers should have an in-depth understanding of the Rules when implementing such conditions. As stated in Rule 33-1, "The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf". Therefore, my stand is that players can choose to ignore this "rule".

However, in social events, and in the name of good fun, participants may follow such "rule". But the organiser should qualify that conditions such as this should only apply to those who have already blown the hole...to spare them of any prolonged agony, and of course to speed up play.
Back to top Go down
swing2sky
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator
swing2sky

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks Bro kip on "However, in social events, and in the name of good fun, participants may follow such "rule". But the organiser should qualify that conditions such as this should only apply to those who have already blown the hole...to spare them of any prolonged agony, and of course to speed up play."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.I.M.P? PART 69   W.I.M.P? PART 69 Empty

Back to top Go down

W.I.M.P? PART 69
Page 1 of 1