Seiko
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

What should I do under this situation? Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 am

I was lining up for my second shot. I top the ball (which is very common) and the ball seems to be headed into the water. So I dropped another ball at the same spot and hit it. When I went to search for my 1st ball I found it laying at the edge of the drain in a small pond of water. Not possible to play the 1st ball because it is in a pond of water and also unable to address as it is at the edge of the drain.

so what should I do under this situation?
Back to top Go down
tigerkaks
tigerkaks

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:04 am

Under the rules of Golf, if the first ball is beyond the yellow or red marker then you need to take a drop one club length from the ball. BTW, when the ball enters water or is close to water; it is not a lost ball condition and the drop needs to be from the place the ball entered water before the water body.

You dont need to play another ball from where you hit the ball. That is only in case the ball is out of bounds or is a lost ball condition
Back to top Go down
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:07 am

Tks tigerkaks! That means I only need to drop the ball before the drain, no penalty right?
Back to top Go down
tigerkaks
tigerkaks

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:11 am

There is a penalty of one stroke
Back to top Go down
badboy
badboy

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 am

maybe is webiste http://www.golfcircuit.com/rules/definition.asp

can help seiko.
as tigerkaks are right .

What a Face

Last edited by badboy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 am

You may want to see rule 26-1 (relief for ball in water hazard).

It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that the ball is in the hazard. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1.

If a ball is in a water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or (yellow stake)
c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole. (red stake)

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.
(Prohibited actions when ball is in a hazard – see Rule 13-4)
(Ball moving in water in a water hazard – see Rule 14-6)

You may wish to note that once a ball is dropped(unless you declare as Provisional ball), it will be considered the "Ball in play". If you never declare, even if you found the first ball, it will not be counted.

In your situation, you should continue to play with your dropped ball. Your dropped ball is 4th stroke and next shot will be 5th stroke.

If I am wrong, please let me know.

Last edited by Neutralgolfer on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LazySwinger
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
LazySwinger

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 am

Next time if you are sure if your ball goes into water, you need not drop another ball from the same spot unless the water hazard is marked by yellow sticks. In your case since you already drop another ball, you should play that dropped ball, adding one stroke penalty. Too bad if you find your ball later and even if you can play your first shot.

A safer option is to declare your second ball a provisional ball, if you are not sure if there was water in front or not, just in case you cannot find the ball.

I qualify I am not a golf rules expert, but since I know this one, I thought I share it with you. Smile
Back to top Go down
LazySwinger
Familiar Face
Familiar Face
LazySwinger

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:30 am

Haha. Neutalgolfer is right and beat me to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Seiko
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:38 am

LazySwinger wrote:
Next time if you are sure if your ball goes into water, you need not drop another ball from the same spot unless the water hazard is marked by yellow sticks. In your case since you already drop another ball, you should play that dropped ball, adding one stroke penalty. Too bad if you find your ball later and even if you can play your first shot.

A safer option is to declare your second ball a provisional ball, if you are not sure if there was water in front or not, just in case you cannot find the ball.

I qualify I am not a golf rules expert, but since I know this one, I thought I share it with you. Smile

In the end, I played the 2nd ball and incurred one stroke penalty. But I remember I didn't see any sticks around the drain. But if i declared my 2nd ball as P ball and 1st ball at the edge of the drain in a small pond of water (does it consider as Casual Water?), I thought mine can be under Casual Water, I can just dropped my 1st ball behind the drain and continue playing w/o incurring any penalty. I might be wrong because there is one time my ball is in Casual Water and my friend told me to drop the ball w/o any penalty.

I just want to clear my doubts if not I cannot sleep at night. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 3:56 am

Whether casual water or not, you have to read the local rules. Some club declare all drains(or part) as lateral water hazards while some clubs declared as FREE drop, with or without stakes.

If Free Drop, you should not dropped any ball from last played position. You should drop within 1 club length from the drain. If you played from last position, it means you played the ball from wrong place. It will incur 2 strokes penalty and if you do not rectify before you hole out, you will be considered disqualified(serious breach of rules).

Fyi, for casual water, it is to place the ball at the nearest place of relief not nearer to the hole (not drop).
Back to top Go down
moi
Committee
moi

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 7:54 am

Seiko wrote:
I was lining up for my second shot. I top the ball (which is very common) and the ball seems to be headed into the water. So I dropped another ball at the same spot and hit it. When I went to search for my 1st ball I found it laying at the edge of the drain in a small pond of water. Not possible to play the 1st ball because it is in a pond of water and also unable to address as it is at the edge of the drain.

so what should I do under this situation?

Is there a part2?
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 am

Good read everyone ! cheers
Back to top Go down
jazz_samz
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
jazz_samz

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 pm

I would have declared a p ball, then go find 1st ball. 1st ball found, in water, then apply rule 27-1. Cannot find 1st ball, then play 2nd ball with 2 stroke penalty. (I thought it's 2 for stroke and distance??? Wah pls correct me if I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
Neutralgolfer
RDG Top Contributer
RDG Top Contributer
Neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Always remember the important thing is...which ball is "in play".

If you play P ball, when 1st ball is found, then the ball in play is now original ball. If in water, you don't apply 27-1, you apply 26-1 (ball in water hazard). Then the P ball will be the ball in play. You cannot drop ball since you have played P ball.

If ball not found, then ask yourself, are you very certain that the ball gone into the water or not. If not sure, then apply rule 27-1(lost ball), take 2 penalty strokes and play the P ball. If very sure the ball must have gone into water, take 1 stroke and apply 26-1. Then the P ball will be the ball in play. You cannot drop ball since you have played P ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should I do under this situation? Part 1   What should I do under this situation? Part 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

What should I do under this situation? Part 1
Page 1 of 1